You are here
- SELECTED PUBLICATIONS
- COURSES TAUGHT
- RESEARCH INTERESTS
Professor of Applied Legal Theory, Coordinator of the PhD program in Law, J.D and PhD at the Scuola Sant’Anna, taught Legal Philosophy at the Law Faculty in Pisa and Parma. Member of the Academic Senate and Director for almost a decade of the Department of Law & Social Studies in Parma was a visiting fellow at several Law Schools, including Yale, Northwestern in Chicago, and “ F. Braudel” Professorial Fellow at the EUI; Invited Research Fellow at the UNSW in Sydney; Inaugural Fellow of the Straus Institute, NYU; “McCormick” Fellow, Edinburgh; Distinguished G.G. Fellow, Schuman Center (EUI), and other. In the editorial or scientific board of a number of academic journals (Law and Philosophy, the Hague Journal on the Rule of Law, Krytyka Prawa, Moscow State U. Kutafin Law Review, and others), he published ten books, some translated into other languages, two collections on the Rule of law (with N. Walker, Oxford 2009; and with L. Morlino, Leiden 2010) and is presently editing with Jan Klabbers, a C.U.P. volume on reconceiving law as “Interlegality” in the supranational setting.
For the full list of publication (English, Italian, Spanish) in recent years and beyond see the profile of the author at the Scuola Sant’Anna main page.
- “Illiberal, democratic, non arbitrary? Epicenter and circumstances of a rule of law crisis”, in The Hague Journal on the Rule of Law, 2017, July, pp. 1-15
- “On the past and future of the transformation of Europe. Law, governance, rights and politics in the EU evolution” in M. Maduro & M. Wind (eds), The Transformation of Europe 25 years on, Cambridge University Press 2017
- ‘Beyond Legality, Before Democracy: Rule of Law Caveats in the EU Two Levels System’, in C. Closa, D. Kochenov, Reinforcing Rule of Law Oversight in the European Union, Cambridge University Press, 2016, pp. 36-59.
- ‘German War Crimes and the rule of International Law’, in Journal of International Criminal Justice, 2016/14 (3), pp. 606-14
- ‘The Rule of law at home and abroad’, in The Hague Journal on the Rule of Law, 2016/1, pp. 1-23
- ‘Global Legislation and Its Discontents’, in Lijvoja, Petman (eds), International Law Making, Routledge, London, 2013, pp. 57-74.
- ‘The (re-) Constitution of the Public in a Global Arena’, in MacAmlaigh, Michelon, Walker (eds), After Public Law?, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2013, pp. 286-310
- E’ possibile una legalità globale? Il Rule of Law e la governance del mondo, Il Mulino, Bologna, 2012
- The Rule of law beyond the State: Failures, Promises and Theory”, in International Journal of Constitutional Law, vol. 7, Issue 3, 2009 (July), pp. 442-46
- ‘From Human Rights to Fundamental Rights. Consequences of a Conceptual Distinction’, in Archiv fuer Rechts- und Sozialphilosophie (2007), vol. 93, n. 3, pp. 396-426
- Concepts and consequences: the law through conceptual couples (human rights-fundamental rights, certainty-balance, legislation-rights, validity-system; rule of law-rule by law; interpretation-application).
- Approaches to applying legal theory and inter-orders adjudication
- PhD research and how to write a PhD dissertation
- Methodological problems of research in law
Applied Legal Theory (in Constitutional, Private and International Law). Rule of Law. Interlegality, Justice and Adjudication. European Union Government and Governance; Transnational Legal Theory; Human Rights and Fundamental Rights ; Constitutions, Democracy and Constitutionalism; Legal Interpretation and Argumentation.